Monday, August 8, 2011

On the future of this blog...

This week I am leaving New Haven and the Peabody. I'll miss both dearly: New Haven's been home for the past seven years. The Peabody's been my home within that home for the past five. I started working in Peabody Vertebrate Zoology as a student assistant at the start of my junior year. After graduating, I was lucky enough to be able to join the division as a full time museum assistant. Along the way, I've gotten to use the Vertebrate Zoology collections for research with Professor Tom Near, too.

Now, I'm heading to the University of Wisconsin-Madison to start working on a Phd in sociology. I'm looking to study the sociology of the evolution controversies. I'm stoked.

I'm also trying to figure out what I want to do with this blog. I'll be working with people now, not dead vertebrates in jars of ethanol anymore, but I don't predict that I will lose my love for the natural world upon joining a sociology department...! I've got gobs of cool specimens and photos that I haven't posted about yet, and it seems silly not to share these. So I might keep this up. I recently received an invite to blog at Field of Science, so I may even move the blog there.

But, of course, I'm worried about how much time I'll have now that I'll be starting this new grad school life. We'll see. At the very least, I'm going to finish out this series I've got going on the Peabody fish type collection. And I'll definitely be contributing occasionally to a brand new Peabody group blog that I've been helping to kickstart with some colleagues this summer. It's set to launch in about a month or so-- more on this soon!

I'll keep you updated. For now, I've got to finish packing and get my butt to Wisconsin. Back to boxes...

4 comments:

  1. I know you WILL MISSED. But whatever you decide, rest assured you will have a dedicated following !
    Love from your AP BIOLOGY teacher,
    Mrs. Austin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jordan, what a great thesis topic! I hope you will keep up your SPNHC membership, too. My best wishes.

    Judith Price

    ReplyDelete
  3. The sociology of the evolution controversies? That sounds fascinating! I hope you have a great time.

    I'm also looking forward to the rest of your Peabody material. I'm a newcomer to this blog, but I do enjoy it.

    Is someone taking over the re-curating task you had been doing? And if so, is the blog too dear to you to turn it over to them as well? (Perfectly understandable, if it is.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Long-time reader, first-time commenter. I've enjoyed your blog these last two years. Thanks for the posts.

    A Librarian in Canada

    ReplyDelete